7 Ingredient Paneer Makhani
by Akshaya Murali
- 1 block or 350 grams Paneer cubed and soaked in warm water
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes roughly chopped or 2 cups tomato puree
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 3 green Chillies, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup cashews soaked in warm water
- 1½ + ½ teaspoon House Gold Masala
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil or Butter
- A handful of freshly chopped cilantro for garnishing
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil or butter to medium heat
- Add the garlic, ginger, and green chillies, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and 1½ teaspoon House Gold Masala to the sautéing aromatics. Season with salt
- Cover and cook the tomatoes till it becomes thick and glossy about 7-8 minutes.
- While the tomato is stewing. Drain the cashew and blend it with ¼ cup water to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Take the tomato off heat and puree it in a food processor or a blender adding about 1/2 cup of water to form a thick sauce.
- Return the tomato sauce to the soup pot over medium heat. Add in the cashew puree to the tomato sauce and let it simmer. If it looks too thick add water as needed.
- Drain the paneer and add it to the sauce. You can also shallow fry the paneer for additional flavour but that is an optional step
- Continue to simmer the sauce along with the paneer for a few more minutes. Add half a teaspoon of the House Gold Masala and turn off the heat. Cover and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with warm roti, naan, or basmati rice.