by Akshaya Murali
- 1 cup greek yogurt (250 ml)
- 2 tablespoon chickpea flour, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (or any other oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 3 teaspoon House Gold Masala
- 1 large cauliflower cut into large florets
For the Dhungar (optional, but highly recommended)
To add a smoky buttery tandoori flavour we recommend using the Dhungar method. This step is completely optional to give your cauliflower an instant upgrade. It is best to do this in an outdoor grill but It is possible to do this safely indoors especially if your kitchen is well ventilated and you have a hood fan over your stove.
- A plum size piece of charcoal
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 small thinly sliced onion (sliced in rounds)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- To a large bowl, add the first 7 ingredients of the tandoori marinade - yogurt, roasted chickpea flour, mustard oil, ginger, garlic, salt, and the House Gold Masala. Mix everything to form a thick marinade.
Add the large cauliflower florets to the bowl. Mix everything till all of the cauliflower is well coated in the marinade. We recommend using your hands to do this.
- Cover and let it sit for about 1-2 hours
- Optional: If you are adding Dhungar to your cauliflower, do this step a few minutes before you pop the cauliflower in the oven. Make room in the centre of the marinade bowl and place a small stainless steel or metal cup.
- Optional: Hold the charcoal with a pair of metal tongs over the gas stove, for about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn your wrist to get as much of the surface of the coal to ash. Do not try to use an electric cooktop or a glass or ceramic cooktop; if it’s winter, though, you could do this in a wood-burning fireplace.
- Optional: Place the coal in the steel cup that is in the marinade bowl. Add a teaspoon of ghee this will instantly generate smoke. Quickly cover with a lid to trap the smoke. Keep it covered for a few minutes. We recommend about 5-7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove and dispose of the coal.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets on the prepared baking sheet, taking care to not to overlap.
Bake for 35-40 minutes till the cauliflower is golden.
- Remove from the oven & garnish with onions, cilantro, and juice of half a lemon before serving.